As the saying goes, ‘A Sunday well spent brings a week of content.’
Experimenting the kitchen on this wet Sunday and I have come up with a delicious vegan lasagne. I have to admit my measurements may not be the most accurate as I tend to go by my eye so you can add more or less to your own liking.
You can also change the vegetables up to your favs, I just went with what I had in the fridge but you could add peppers or spinach if you prefer.
Ingredients: (Serves 8)
1 tbsp olive oil, more to coat courgette
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
200g mushrooms, diced
1 courgette, thinly sliced
2 large handfuls of kale, stalks removed and torn into pieces
2 tsp missed herbs
1 tsp oregano
400g chopped tomatoes, tinned
200ml vegetable stock
200-250g green lentils
1 tbsp tomato purée
200g lasagnes sheets (gluten free or normal)
250g Oatly crème fraîche ( you can also make a cashew nut white sauce)
2-3 tsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to season
- To start, place a large pot over a medium heat on your hob and drizzle with some olive oil. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, mushrooms, cover with a lid and sautéed for 3-5 minutes,until oni ons become translucent.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, oregano, vegetable stock, tomato puree and season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes until lentils are tender. Stirring regularly and adding more liquid if needed. Add the kale in the last 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven).
- As per lasagne sheets instructions, blanch the sheets in boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften.
- Begin to layer your lasagne dish, starting with your bolognese layer.
- Then add your lasagne sheets, covering with your creme fraiche and nutritional yeast.
- Repeat the layers, so you have 3 layers of each, topping the last layer with the sliced courgette.
- Brushing the courgette with olive oil and season with black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, until the courgettes are golden and crispy.
- Slice to serve. You can serve with some side salad and/or garlic bread.
Happy cooking, hope you enjoy!